Re: RARA-AVIS: In-Reply-To: <200005220217.VAA1673989@smtppop2.gte.net>

From: Mark Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 21 May 2000

Bill Crider:
> I've just been re-reading a book called (in its hardcover edition)
> DEADFALL. It was written by Keith Laumer, and I have the paperback,
> retitled FAT CHANCE, which was also the title of the movie starring
Michael
> Caine.

Bill, I have read the same edition,. As I'm sure you know Laumer was mainly a science fiction author .He wrote Worlds of Imperium alernate worlds series and made use of his experience as a US diplomat in the popular Retief series which spoofed the State Department and diplomats in general. I always likened his books to Chinese food because they were fast moving and exciting as you read them, but an hour after you had finished, you didn't remember anything about them. It seems Deadfall/Fat Chance had the usual effect on me. Mark