Re: RARA-AVIS: The Exhausted Hard-boiled

From: Jess Nevins ( jjnevins@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 21 May 2000

Frederick Zackel wrote:

> I think I mentioned this before: that I suspect the Lone Wolf mythology
> seems to have exhausted itself. That we have seen too many Lone Wolves over
> the past 35 years (since the assassination of JFK by a Lone Zealot.) Too
> often the heroic figure of the Lone Wolf has been swamped by the Lone
> Zealot, all those sociopaths / psychopaths with a gun and three names (Lee
> Harvey Oswald, John Wayne Gacy(?), etc.)

Perhaps this is so in the mystery genre, at least as the publishers define it, but as far as I can tell the popularity of the Lone Wolf hasn't significantly declined in thrillers, suspense, and especially science fiction.

I think there are a lot more women adopting the Lone Wolf stance, both as writers and as characters, but I've never thought that the Lone Wolf figure had to be either written or portrayed by a male.

I don't think hardboiled is dead. I think it's just changing to adapt to the times.

jess