RE: RARA-AVIS: HB is dead

From: Words from the Monastery ( anthony.dauer@erols.com)
Date: 20 May 2000

I wouldn't even go with obsolete ... it's not the same because it's a genre steeped in realism and the reality of today versus yesterday are not the same. But even that's not an absolute ... Lew Archer's missing person searches and divorce work can still be accomplished today by a realistic investigator. Personally, I glad the genre has grown and evolved over the years ... if it hadn't I can't see it still be around today doing the same old same old, but that does happen in other genres. I don't see HB as being limited to profession of the protagonist and even it if is, there's plenty of room for complimentary professions or backgrounds that allow the "PI" to live on in a different form. Insurance investigation still exists, bounty hunters, consultants, security personnel, and even PIs ... what today offers us as writes of HB is an opportunity to be imaginative in creating a credible character instead of limiting ourselves to the obvious one.

volente Deo,

Anthony Dauer Alexandria, Virginia

"The dead are heavy, after all."
 -Will Christopher Baer, "Penny Dreadful"

Hard-Boiled Noir Discussion
   Hard-Boiled-subscribe@egroups.com