Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled Lit is Dead...

From: Gerald So ( gso@optonline.net)
Date: 19 May 2000

Hello, all.

Pronzini's comments strike me as very accurate. Without getting into the debate over what hard-boiled is, book reviewers and readers are very quick to lump writers together based on any similarity they can find. 90 percent of the time, this underrates each writer's worth as an individual.

Rara-Avians have often mentioned newer writers whom they view as less hardboiled than older ones. Pronzini's take doesn't surprise me at all.

Gerald