Re: RARA-AVIS: List recommendations you've liked

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 May 2000

Before I actually subscribed to the list, I used to read the archives a lot and I always paid close attention to whatever Mario Taboada (hope I spelled that right!) and Bill Crider were recommending. Those guys seem to have read *everything* in the genre, and also seem to have a sensible opinion about it all.

The one specific author I never would've picked up without Rara-Avis was Donald Hamilton. I can't think of another hb writer more ill-served by time and bad movies. Like Mr. Denton, I was under the impression that the Matt Helm series was cheesy sixties Bond rip-off stuff. Obviously, I couldn't have been more wrong.

(You know, sometimes I play a game: "what hb writer would I most like to see get reissued". And the answer changes as my mood changes, but really, when you get down to it, I think it has to be Hamilton. The guy is just so good and so neglected -- I'd love to see modern readers get another chance at him.)

Anyhow, since then I occasionally scribble down authors that various listmembers recommend, and with the exception of the lackluster Robert Crais I haven't really been disappointed.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com