RARA-AVIS: new book

From: Kathy Evans ( evans@wworx.net)
Date: 10 May 2000

 Rara-Avians--I don't know if this has been mentioned on the list yet, but Houghton Mifflin has recently put out a new anthology, THE BEST AMERICAN MYSTERY STORIES OF THE CENTURY, edited by Tony Hillerman, series editor Otto Penzler.

  The collection is not exclusively hardboiled: stories with a mystery theme include ones by Lardner, Faulkner, F. O'Connor, and Joyce Carol Oates as well as by more traditionally-styled classical detective writers--Melville Davisson Post, Margaret Millar, Stanley Ellin. But hardboiled--Cain, Woolrich, Gores, Greenleaf, Paretsky Lehane, etc.--is well represented, and it seems handy to have such a nice survey collected under one cover. I haven't checked Amazon but my memory is the volume (800 pp. h.b.) is somewhere in the $30's.

Jeff