RARA-AVIS: The Maltese Female

From: Victoria Esposito-Shea ( victoria@esposito-shea.com)
Date: 09 May 2000

I actually liked Astor in TMF, once I got over sulking because they changed the '20s clothing to '40s clothing. (Then again, I saw the movie for the first time in my early teens, so I wasn't a particularly critical audience either.)

According to Sperber & Lax's Bogart biography, Geraldine Fitzgerald was the early choice to play Brigid--she was the right age, height, etc., etc. I can't imagine John Huston was terribly upset about the way it worked out, though, since he allegedly had a torrid affair with Astor throughout the filming. You take what you can get, I guess. . .um, so to speak.

Later, Vicky

Victoria Esposito-Shea, J.D. Legal Research and Writing

New and improved site at http://www.esposito-shea.com