Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V3 #238

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 08 May 2000

Kent Johnson wrote:

> Not a popular opinion, but one I agree with totally. I always have a hard
> time with Mary Astor when watching THE MALTESE FALCON. She just wasn't a
> very good actress and her lines could have been delivered *much* better.

I also feel uncomfortable watching her performance, but maybe Huston and the rest were mush wiser than us: there is so much phoniness about Mary Astor that it adds to the film's point about no-one-to-be-trusted -world. But then again, how could Bogart/Spade fall in love with her? No way, man! (But her haircut..! I wish some nerd would make a different hair for her!)

Juri jurnum@utu.fi