Re: RARA-AVIS: Long Shadow of the Falcon

From: Keith Alan Deutsch ( keithdeutsch@earthlink.net)
Date: 07 May 2000

I agree with Martha, Dick.

Particularly at the end of the film where the interaction between Spade and
"Ms. Wonderly" is so important to understanding the value system of Spade, his professionalism, and his dedication to his partner--even a louse of a partenr.

No question in my mind that Bogart/Huston got the dialogue and ambience of Hammett's novel perfectly. I've seen portions of a series of the remakes--and the dialogue doesn't sizlle at all. As I recall, Bette Davis was wasted in one version. Wish i could remember the name of the tv production that presented a good series of clip comparisons.

Keith