RARA-AVIS: Then Long Shadow of the Falcon

From: ejmd ( ejmd@cwcom.net)
Date: 06 May 2000

From today's Guardian:

The long shadow of the Falcon:
  Dashiell Hammett's creation Sam Spade is father to every gumshoe that ever walked down a mean street, says crime-writer Sara Paretsky

Sara Paretsky

Saturday May 6, 2000

'After reading The Maltese Falcon, I went mooning about in a daze of love such as I had not known for any character in literature since I encountered Sir Launcelot," Dorothy Parker wrote in the New Yorker in 1931, adding that she had read the book 30 or 40 times in the two years after its publication.

Read the rest of Paretsky's intro to a new edition of TMF on the Guardian's website:

http://www.guardianunlimited.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4015157,00.html

ED