Re: RARA-AVIS: Opening lines (was Ross Thomas)

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 May 2000

Crumley's line, my favorite hb opening line, is so good it deserves to be quoted:

"When I finally caught up with Abraham Trahearne, he was drinking beer with an alcoholic bulldog named Fireball Roberts in a ramshackle joint just outside of Sonoma, California, drinking the heart right out of a fine spring afternoon." (Crumley, LAST GOOD KISS).

And, just for the heck of it, my favorite closing line in a hb piece, from Ross Macdonald's "Midnight Blue":

"All us poor creatures, as the old man of the mountain had said that morning."

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com