Re: RARA-AVIS: The Law of Averages

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 02 May 2000

Kevin Burton Smith wrote:

> But average is a good word for the Kenzie-Genarro series. There's
> nothing really wrong with them, but I find they lack that extra
> something that pushes them over the top, and cuts them from the
> crowd. Strange, I know, that in other ways, that's all Lehane keeps
> trying to do: go over the top, with one hey-this'll-shock 'em!
> unpleasantness after another.
> Maybe it's because I never really buy into the lead characters of
> Patrick and Angie. Anyway, it's nice to know there's a few other
> folks on this list that aren't completely blown away by the series.

You're right. Even though I liked the book I agree with you almost totally. Lehane has a habit of shocking his readers - it's pretty obivous with the pedophile family in "Gone, Baby, Gone" and I didn't find any cathartic meaning in the repulsion Lehane tried to create. And Patrick and Angie are pretty empty characters and I didn't feel knowing them at all.

Juri jurnum@utu.fi