Willeford (Was: Re: RARA-AVIS: RARA AVIS Proprietor Bill Denton and the Pulp Show encounter)

From: ejmd ( ejmd@cwcom.net)
Date: 01 May 2000

William Denton < buff@pobox.com> writ:

> I think I asked how much they were charging for it, actually, and checking
> my records I see got my copy at the first Toronto pulp con for $35.
> Demand for Willeford's stuff must be going up. That same dealer had a
> never-reprinted PBO David Goodis title for $150! (I was wearing a tweed
> jacket, too.)

What was this ... a hard back first edition back in a dustjacket, or a pb?

Looking at my copy of _The Machine in Ward Eleven_, UK paperback, Consul 1964 (VG+) I find '£2.00' pencilled inside. Although I remember quite liking it when I got it---I dipped into it about a year or so ago---I see that the bookmark (a supermarket till receipt dated Jan '98) is at about halfway.

More recently I picked up a Black Lizard edition of _The Burnt Orange Heresey_ for £2.00. Even though I read this when it came up on the reading list, I thought I should get it ... just in case (I have had pangs of regret about the Woolrich I reluctantly left on the shelf, though I still came away with an armful).

There's also an Arrow edition of _The Way We Die Now_ (as yet unread by me) which has no sign of a price and which I don't even recall getting
... but I suppose I *must've* ... it's blurbed as 'the last Hoke Moseley novel',and there's a neat quote from William Burroughs across the title:
'No one owns life. But anyone with a frying pan owns death.'

ED