Re: RARA-AVIS: Ed Bunker and ex(?)-cons

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 01 May 2000

Boy, after getting all of these reports on the current status of all of those ex-con writers, I'm beginning to feel like a parole officer. Thanks for the info, by the way.

Okay, I said I'm reading Bunker's memoir and we've recently brought up Jack Black's You Can't Win and Iceberg Slim's Pimp. Then there are books by Chessman, Abbot and Cleaver. Didn't Willie Sutton have a book, also?

Anyway, there is clearly an appeal to true-life criminal exploits. So how far back does it go? If I remember correctly, didn't Poe and Dickens both base detectives (arguably the first fictional detectives) on the memoirs of a French (?) thief taker? Not exactly a crook, but not really a cop either.

Also, any recommended hardboiled ones other than the above?

Mark