RARA-AVIS: Definitions; Dennis Lehane

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 01 May 2000

Keith Alan Deutsch wrote:

> Right on, Juri! Write on! I admire your spunk.

Had to use the dictionary on the word "spunk". Thanks, Keith, but like I said the discussion is over, if you ask me. There should be many Rara-avises, one for namedroppers, one for obscurantists writing about the one-shot pulp writers and lousy sixties action movies and one for two-cent theorists. (It wouldn't help anything, since I'd still be on every list....)

By the way, I finished "Gone, Baby, Gone" last night a bit drunk from cheap sparkling wine (the First of May, you know). The end was pretty strong and compensated very well the book's shortcomings. But I'd spotted the main bad guy already in the beginning due to the fact that there are too few characters and the bad guy dropped from sight too early. I use the word "bad" knowing that there were actually no baddies in the book (except the Trett pedophiles and their buddy and couple others). Ambivalence very well handled, that's what the book was at its best.

Juri jurnum@utu.fi