Re: RARA-AVIS: Paen to MacDonald

From: Z0MB0Y@aol.com
Date: 29 Apr 2000

I find MacDonald's body of work kind of uneven. I love DEAD LOW TIDE and the novella BORDERTOWN GIRL, for instance. At his best, he sums up what pulp is at its best. I think he fleshes out his sleazy villains wonderfully. But for some reason, he usually feels obligated to throw in some do-good characters
(Our Heroes) who cause the books to drag like a soap opera (THE NEON JUNGLE and MURDER IN THE WIND come immediately to mind.) Like a lot of pulp writers, I guess he just had to write more than he was really inspired to. But even at his worst, he's a good craftsman.