Re: RARA-AVIS: Paen to MacDonald

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 29 Apr 2000

James Rogers wrote:

> Surely I am not the only one who hungers to get away from the
> interminable chain of dispute respecting _Moby Dick_ and _Huckleberry
> Finn_. Worthy books, but yeesh.

OK, OK! As for me, the dispute is over. And Kevin, sorry about my earlier e-mail!

Getting back to the real thing, I've been reading Dennis Lehane's "Gone, Baby, Gone". Did I get it right when I understood it's one of his weaker books? It's not bad, but I don't seem to get very close to Patrick Kenzie and Angie Gennaro. They suffer and they are weak and occasionally strong, but still I don't see them as very interesting characters. Kenzie's narrative voice isn't very personal, either. The other people in the book are more interesting, especially the wisecracking police team of Broussard and Poole. But the plot is interesting (I just hope I didn't guess the real bad guy already in the beginning... 140 pages to go) and the action scenes are stunning.

Juri jurnum@utu.fi