Re: RARA-AVIS: Are they still talking about definitions?

From: Bob Toomey ( btoomey@javanet.com)
Date: 28 Apr 2000

Kevin Burton Smith wrote:

> Could we just get on with it, please? Geniuses? Classics?
> Masterpieces? Zzzzzzz....

I second that Zzzzzzz...

> And this may be pissing in the church, but I always thought James M.
> Cain to be rather over-rated. His rep rested primarily on DOUBLE
> INDEMNITY and THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE. No argument, as far as
> those go, but the rest of his stuff is pretty hit-or-miss, much of it
> very minor

SERENADE and CAREER IN C MAJOR are worth reading, and some of the short stories collected in THE BABY IN THE ICEBOX.

Cain claimed he wasn't a hardboiled writer. Un huh -- and George V. Higgins claimed he wasn't a crime writer, and Kurt Vonnegut and Harlan Ellison claim they're not science fiction writers. Nobody here but us chickens, I guess.

BobT