Re: RARA-AVIS: Public Acclaim - Robert Bloch

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 28 Apr 2000

Well, each his own, of course, but I'm not basing my opinion on Bloch just on PSYCHO. I have the SELECTED STORIES, and have read through them, and with a handful of exceptions I just don't think there's much there. In my opinion you could list countless writers from the same period who did the same sort of thing much better.

One example that comes to mind is Frederic Brown, a simply superb craftsman who could do all sorts of things (sf, PI stories, thrillers, wacky comedies, etc.) extraordinarily well. Yet he remains pretty much unknown to the general reading public, and one reason might be that there was never a blockbuster movie version of any of his stories. (It's a damn shame no one ever tried to do a movie version of NIGHT OF THE JABBERWOCK).

Again, I regard Bloch's reputation, such as it is, as mainly reflected glory from the excellent movie version of PSYCHO.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com