Re: RARA-AVIS: Are they still talking about definitions?

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 28 Apr 2000

On 28 April 2000, Kevin Burton Smith wrote:

: And this may be pissing in the church, but I always thought James M.
: Cain to be rather over-rated. His rep rested primarily on DOUBLE
: INDEMNITY and THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE.

It's hard to over-rate the man that wrote those two. That's the pure stuff there. I agree his other stuff isn't nearly as good, though.

After we read Gores' INTERFACE, some people recommended 32 CADILLACS, one of this DKA novels. I just finished it, and it's a great romp. It's in the light vein of the Dortmunder or Burglar books, but I liked it much more than any entry I've read in those two series. There's a big cast of characters, repo men and Gypsies, and they're pulling short cons and long cons left and right, stealing cars from suckers or each other, tripping over each other, moving fast, and all winding up in Stupidville, Ohio. It's a blast.

Bill