RARA-AVIS: Woolrich and Goodis

From: Duane Spurlock ( duane@emazing.com)
Date: 28 Apr 2000

For those who lilke reading both of those tortured noir writers, Cornell Woolrich and David Goodis, look for NEW CRIMES, edited by Maxim Jakubowski.

Along with new stories, it features a "vintage area" that includes "The Hunted" by Woolrich ((c) 1953, MANHUNT Jan '53; different version in ARGOSY in 1939 as "Death in the Yoshiwara) and "Professional Man" by Goodis ((c) 1953, MANHUNT October '53). There's also an interview with Patricia Highsmith and and article by John Conquest, "The Making of Trouble is Their Business."

The library copy I found is Hardback, printed in 1990 by Carroll & Graf. At Amazon, I found the following suspects that are still available:

New Crimes Paperback (January 1992) Carroll & Graf Publishers, Inc.; ISBN: 0881847615 ; http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0881847615/qid=956928652/sr=1-1/002-3 008517-2828253

Gollancz New Crimes I Paperback (June 1996) Trafalgar Square; ISBN: 0575058501 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0575058501/qid=956928652/sr=1-3/002-3 008517-2828253

Note that Amazon shows New Crimes 2, 3 and 4 as Out of Print.

There are no contents listed for either one. Knowing the way publishers name and rename books, these may or may not be the same book as the one I found.
-- Duane Spurlock