Re: RARA-AVIS: Public Acclain & "Masterpeices"

From: Bob Toomey ( btoomey@javanet.com)
Date: 28 Apr 2000

Keith Alan Deutsch wrote:

> I think Chandler wrote terrible plots, but whether in first or third person, his
> narrative voice--at least for me--is where all the pleasure and the masterwork
> lies.

Well, anybody who reads Chandler for his plots is sitting in the wrong pew. But FAREWELL, MY LOVELY, at least, has a rock solid plot, and THE LADY IN THE LAKE and THE LONG GOODBYE aren't far behind.

I don't think plots matter much anyway. HUCKLEBERRY FINN does fine without one. It's all in the telling.

BobT