RARA-AVIS: Re: A Good Man is Hard to Find

From: Keith Alan Deutsch ( keithdeutsch@earthlink.net)
Date: 26 Apr 2000

Dear Bill,

I'm an avid fan of O'Connor, but do not think hard boiled is appropriate--her range is much too broad, and a gothic quality--almost like an American Southern version of Isaak Dinesen's gothic quality--infiltrates her character presentations.

 I have always loved "A Good Man is Hard to Find." I think it IS an extraordinary execution of the hard boiled because O'Conner is such an artist at setting up the completely ordinary universe of "grannny" and the "normal" family at the beginnng of the tale.

I don't know about you, but I've never worn socks again after my first read of "A Good Man is Hard to Find.

Side Note to Pat Zeitoun: Maybe you'd prefer to read "A Hard Man is Good to Find"? Sorry, Pat, just using you to get the pun in. No intention to "prey" on you!

Keith