Re: RARA-AVIS: rara-avis

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 25 Apr 2000

I much prefer Donald Goines, myself. Something about Slim's work turns me off -- I think his endings, in particular, are incredibly bad, and often dishonest. In PIMP (if I remember correctly, it's been awhile since I've read it) he spends pages describing the pleasures of a pimp's life in luscious detail, then ends it by saying something like "of course, pimping is wrong". It sounds forced and phony.

Mostly Goines avoids this, but even when he does append a falsely upbeat ending, it doesn't seem to grate as much. In strict terms the ending of DOPEFIEND, for example, is ridiculous, but there's an oddly dreamlike, wistful quality about it, too, that I found appealing.

Just my opinion, of course.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com