RARA-AVIS: Dog Fighting and Harry Crews

From: kip.stratton@natinst.com
Date: 25 Apr 2000

It seems to me that the best dog fight stuff I've read has been written by the great Harry Crews during his classic period (the first ten novels followed by his memoir A BOYHOOD and the collected magazine pieces BLOOD AND GRITS). I don't think anyone has dealt with the violent psyche better than Crews during that period. I believe the dog fight stuff is in the novel A FEAST OF SNAKES, which is still in print as a trade paperback. That novel, while not a genre piece, is about as hard-boiled as you can get.

Later...Kip