Re: RARA-AVIS: A batch o' Gold Medals

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Apr 2000

Hi, there:

--- Bleed272@aol.com wrote:
> Stumbled across a bunch of Gold Medals in a used
> bookshop today, and wondered if any Rara-Avians had
> any comments about them....
> HELL HATH NO FURY by Charles Williams

I believe this book was later retitled THE HOT SPOT, to coincide with a so-so movie version that came out in the late Eighties. If we're talking about the same book, this is marvelous. We're talking amoral protagonists, good girls, bad girls, sweaty corruption in nowhere towns -- the whole nine yards, done superbly well. Most of Williams stuff is stupidly out of print-- he deserves to be reissued.

> and one Bantam,
> DAY OF THE RAM by William Campbell Gault

The only Gault book I've read to date (though I have DON'T CRY FOR ME lying around somewhere). I remember it to be a decent, workmanlike pi piece.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com