RARA-AVIS: pining away

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 24 Apr 2000

Richard wrote:

"In my opinion, the best Pine novel was the one published under Browne's name "The Taste of Ashes." I consider it one of the ten greatest PI novels I've ever read."

I am in total agreement there. The Paul Pine books were one of, if not the first PI series I read after Chandler and Hammett. The Halo books blew me away. Then I searched for years before finding a copy of A Taste for Ashes. It was even better.

Browne's non-series book Thin Air was also impressive and was the basis of an episode of both Rockford Files and Simon & Simon, one of which Browne co-wrote (I forget which one, but I think it was S & S).

Mark