Re: RARA-AVIS:Devil in a Blue Dress - film

From: Etienne Borgers ( freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Date: 22 Apr 2000

--- Dennis McGuire < dlm183@prodigy.net> wrote:
> The character of Mouse was what made the movie for
> me. That and the music.
> I have the soundtrack. I thought Denzel Washington
> was too polished to play
> Easy, but still, I'd like to see it again sometime.

Agreed! Something does not "click" in that film, especially when we put it in the HB/Noir slot. And I agree with you that Denzel Washington, even if technically a very good actor, is too "soft" for certain characters he was playing, as here (and this is valid for some other films). Further, there is something in that film that does not make it "captivating"... I saw it 3 times because of my feelings. Did not change my opinion. It leaves us with Mouse and the music as rightly stated. And some period reconstitution.

But, it is certainly not a lemon.

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384