RE: RARA-AVIS: What Hard-Boiled Is

From: Pat Zeitoun ( pwz@tca.net)
Date: 20 Apr 2000

Sharon Villines said:
"Noir carries with it a sophistication that hardboiled rejects--or pretends to reject."

I don't know about noir being necessarily sophisticated. One of my all time favorite writers, Joe Landsdale, works have been described as "country noir", "East Texas noir" and my own classification, Red Neck Noir.

Given how narrow the definition of hard-boiled/noir is among some of the list members, I expect a number will deny Landsdale's noir credentials from the 'git go'. It is my considered opinion, that Landsdale along with a number of other writers who have recently had their hard-boiled status questioned or completely discounted are as tough and cynical as some of the classic protagonists - just updated versions, perhaps more relevant today, than the archetypes.

Cheers,

PatZ