RE: RARA-AVIS: What Hard-Boiled Is

From: Words from the Monastery ( anthony.dauer@erols.com)
Date: 20 Apr 2000

For what it's worth ... in "The Big Book of Noir" edited by Ed Gorman, Lee Server, and Martin H. Greenberg (and recommended by Mr. Penzler of the Mysterious Bookshop, etc.) there are approximately 136 pages dedicated to Film and 168 pages for fiction ... not including the 10 pages for comic books. Penzler's comments at Amazon.com in regards to the text lead one to believe that it's the hard-boiled that's more sophisticated than noir and that our contemporary authors who are concentrating on the bad guy as a good guy writing noir versus hard-boiled.

volente Deo,

Anthony Dauer Alexandria, Virginia

"I know. We are ... the lucky ones." Bif Naked, 1999