RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V3 #199

From: MTSaler@aol.com
Date: 20 Apr 2000

<< From: "a.n.smith" < ansmith@netdoor.com>
 Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: DeLillo, Murakami, Kafka, hard-boiled definition

> As for Haruki Murakami, I certainly wouldn't argue him as hardboiled
> either, although, as Doug notes, he does clearly worship Chandler,

 Look, it's a literary game, taking all these authors and asking "Are they
 hardboiled? Somewhat?" And I end up not caring.

 I have people to talk to about literary writers and criticism all day.
 That's why I work at a university, why I work for a literary magazine. And
 of course, any label can be applied if you rationalize enough (Shakespeare
 as Noir?) with critical theory.

 But not here.

Why not here? I also work at a University, where I teach both Kafka and Chandler. I like talking about these ideas. You don't. That doesn't mean we can't coexist on the same list, bringing up issues that might be of interest to others. If you don't like a particular thread, skip it and go on to the next.

I'm glad this thread has led to Murakami; _Hard-Boiled Wonderland_ is part of a trlogy that has many hard-boiled allusions. The novel itself might be worth considering for one of the monthly book discussions on this list.

Mike