Re: RARA-AVIS: What Hard-Boiled Is

From: a.n.smith ( ansmith@netdoor.com)
Date: 20 Apr 2000

> I see the movie as being hard-boiled noir ... there's nothing stopping
both
> terms being used for one thing ... they're not synonyms with the same
>meaning.

The contention I responded to was that Noir has a level of sophistication which Hard-boiled hasn't. How can we reconcile that with this Falcon example? I say we can't. Not synonyms, but was Hammett's novel not as sophisticated as the movie of that novel? Forget the terms. Look back at the original thought. Call the movie both, fine (what, as opposed to
"soft-boiled noir'?), but does the example stand up to the definition offered earlier?

This one ran out of gas. Pragmatism. Whatever works for you, fine, it's true.