RARA-AVIS: Pelecanos

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 20 Apr 2000

I just finished "King Suckerman" and liked it a great deal, even though there was so much cowboy mentality that I found myself thinking that Pelecanos hasn't brought anything new to the genre. But "The Sweet Forever", the only other book I've read from the DC quartet, is a bit different in this aspect. But in "King Suckerman" the female roles just don't seem to be necessary, it's all men playing together. And the criminals are either ugly, stupid or homosexual, which I found a bit disturbing.

But I'd like to ask a few questions about the series, since I haven't been able to dig the other parts up.

Is the first book in the quartet, "The Big Blowdown", about the sixties? Do the fathers of Dimitri Karras and Nick Stefanos appear in the book? Is it about them?

There is a mention of Don Goines in "King Suckerman" - is this the militant paperback writer Donald Goines? Did he sell drugs in DC in the seventies?

What happens in the end of "The Sweet Forever"? Why are Nick Stefanos and his black friend crying, watching the TV from the shop window?

What's the name of the last book in the series? Is it about the nineties? Are Karras and Clay in the book?

Thanks!

Juri jurnum@utu.fi