Re: RARA-AVIS: DeLillo, Murakami, Kafka, hard-boiled definition

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 19 Apr 2000

As for DeLillo, I'm not ready to champion him as a hardboiled writer, but how different is his Libra from Ellroy's American Tabloid (except for being much better -- I'm not much of a fan of Tabloid, as a matter of fact, it may have broken my Ellroy habit). Ellroy considers Libra one of his favorite crime novels on at least one list I've seen and has said his main problem in writing Tabloid was in trying to stake out a part of the story separate from DeLillo's work. He is also a big fan of Dunne's True Confessions, an alternative take to his Black Dahlia.

As for Haruki Murakami, I certainly wouldn't argue him as hardboiled either, although, as Doug notes, he does clearly worship Chandler, but his first name shuld probably be noted, so he isn't mixed up with Ryu Murakami, who wrote Almost Transparent Blue.

Mark