RARA-AVIS: Turning Down TV

From: a.n.smith ( ansmith@netdoor.com)
Date: 19 Apr 2000

It makes sense to me that an author should certainly turn down the prospect of turning their fictional PI into a TV or film property while the print series is still going strong. That's just my impression on the art side.

On the other hand, Parker's stock cerainly rose with the Spenser show (and new films), but Hollywood slaughtered James Lee Burke's Robicheaux (well, I kind of like the movie). Good money, but then the people who come to the books by watching might not be able to separate the two different identities--book and film.

Somebody's going to mention Chandler now. I just know it.

Neil Smith