RARA-AVIS: Re: HB or not HB, that is the question.

From: Sinclair, Jim ( SinJim@topnz.ac.nz)
Date: 19 Apr 2000

This is a little leftfield, offshore, off-topic but Scots James Kelman has a blind, unemployed, drunken Glaswegian protagonist in 'How late it was how late' I guess that qualifies as 'noir'? Digression No. 2 - am re- reading 'Farewell, my lovely' I know this has been scoped before but couldn't see such un P.C. sensibilities making it into print these days, the thought police would have long exorcised them from the consciousness of writers. Counter-examples? Digression No. 3 - Having finished Crais' "Indogo Slam" found that the southern setting had nice resonances - Given his roots - you can take the boy out of the bayou but you can't take the bayou out of the boy.... would like to see a filmic version - is there one? (am already furiously casting). Later Jim S.