RARA-AVIS: Re: Kafka NOT HB, + what we discuss here, My 2 cents.

From: a.n.smith ( ansmith@netdoor.com)
Date: 19 Apr 2000

> Why not?
> Which?

Why is everyone so insistent on making everything hardboiled? Kafka's Trial is not. It just isn't.

German existentialism, experimental fiction, but not hardboiled.

If you think it is, make your case for it. Why just ask everyone else?

HB: An American invention that has since travelled the world, influenced many types of literature, as I'm sure other types of literature have travelled and done. And sure, Kafka influenced crime writers just like he influenced poets and journalists and horror writers. I don't care which ones.

I agree with earlier posts. HB writing (and a step or two away) discussions found here. We can't make everything hardboiled, even other things we're interested in: "Isn't the work of Don DeLillo and other postmodern writers somewhat hardboiled because--" No, it isn't. "Which type of sport--" Big deal. (I only mentioned horse racing and boxing because of how related those two sports are to hardboiled fiction. They keep showing up in the books and scripts. Not talking about the merits of the sport itself).
"What type of music--" Again, only mentioned Vandermark 5 because it was a direct tribute to Noir writers and movies.

Do I seem a bit grumpy? Good. That's hardboiled, but not about fiction, so no more about that.

Neil Smith Plots With Guns (http://www2.netdoor.com/~ansmith) New Issue! April/May, now posted.