RARA-AVIS: Setting Boundaries

From: Reed Andrus ( randrus@home.com)
Date: 19 Apr 2000

> Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 20:56:52 -0400 (EDT)
> From: William Denton < buff@pobox.com>

> And you're quite right about staying close to the actual writing. People,
> the focus of the list of hardboiled fiction. Everything said on the list
> should be related to that, and general discussions of movies, music or
> anything else doesn't cut it.
>
> Bill
> - --
> William Denton : Toronto, Canada : http://www.miskatonic.org/ : Caveat lector.

So, Bill. Does that mean we can't discuss someone like John Sandford or the Lucas Davenport series because _you_ don't believe the series qualifies as hard-boiled?

Seems to me this group is limited to discussion within a pre-defined set of boundaries that grows more pre-defined by the day.

Maybe it's time for some fresh air. And I don't mean rec.arts.mystery or DorothyL. One of the other posters was quite correct -- Rara-Avis is threatening to become the latter with an attitude.

I'm gonna respond to the comments and opinions regarding the Sandford Prey series, but I'll do it in context of a Mystery News review of the latest, Easy Prey, due out in hardcover next month. Wouldn't want to pollute these pages with off-topic material.

Best regards,

... Reed