RE: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled This & That

From: James Rogers ( jetan@ionet.net)
Date: 18 Apr 2000

At 10:29 PM 4/18/00 -0400, Tribe wrote:

>> As to the second, does _Day Of The Locust_ cut it as HB? I
>> think so,
>> and I would certainly place it's name in nomination. I haven't tried the
>> Fairbairn.
>
>Day of the Locust isn't hard-boiled, but it sure is noir. Same thing with
>Miss Lonelyhearts. However, there is a crime in Locust though, ins't there?
>That big ass riot at the end would probably violate most unlawful assembly
>statutes.

     Yeah, but the crime(s) are not really the theme of the book. I mean, you could call _Light In August_ a murder story, or _Great Gatsby_ a gangster book, if you wanted to.
     After having wrangled on the noir v. HB distinction ever since I got on the list, I have finally come to the conclusion that it is just about the most useless catagorization in the world. No one ever agrees as to which is which and, since it appears just about all of us like both flavors, it doesn't seem to have much practical effect.

                                 James