Re: RARA-AVIS: Re:Hardboiled Music- Blues is Noir

From: Etienne Borgers ( freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Date: 18 Apr 2000

Well, unless speaking of the very recent and modern leg of the blues, I always saw this music as NOIR... I'm speaking of the blues as the music originated with the American black people and prolonged in diversified styles after.

I'm dubious here... maybe blues does not have the same meaning for all the peolple having populateed this tread. Why I'm so touchy? Just think about the today meaning of R&B and the music covered by this word now (compared to the real thing of the 40's and 50's) or worse the vocable "soul music"... I spare you the "jazzy" one...

Blues carries most of the time a very pessimistic view of life and related problems... (to say the less).

You want blues, you want it grim, somber and Noir:
'Strange Fruits' by Billie Holiday.

Or Big Bill Bronzy. Or so many others...

They had no problem to express their anger and anxiety, for sure. But not many were listening.

E.Borgers Hard-boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com