RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V3 #184

From: Douglas Greene ( dgreene@odu.edu)
Date: 17 Apr 2000

Now that this list is receiving postings from Keith Deutsch, you can see why Crippen & Landru is so enthusiastic about his plans, and pleased to be included among them.

But I should add that the email Keith posted for us is incomplete. It actually is CrippenL@Pilot.Infi.Net

If you want to reserve LONG LIVE THE DEAD: THE BLACK MASK STORIES OF HUGH B. CAVE, you can email us.

Keith has been very supportive of our project. Not only has he allowed us to reprint Hugh's BLACK MASK stories for no charge, he is also providing an introduction-in-the-form-of-an-interview-with-Hugh B. Cave, and he and Hugh are working on prefaces to each story.

The book will be available in a trade softcover (about $16-17) and a signed, numbered clothbound in dust jacket (175-250 copies, $40-$42) with another Cave pulp story in a separate pamphlet.

Tom Roberts, of Black Dog Press, is designing the book, and we plan to be ready to go to press early in June. When we will publish, however, depends on a factor outside our control. For over a year Fedogan & Bremer has announced as
"forthcoming" a collection of Hugh's DIME DETECTIVE stories under the title BOTTLED IN BLONDE. If it finally appears this summer, we'll wait a few months so that Hugh won't be competing with himself. If it's not imminent by June, we'll aim at July to coincide with Hugh's 90th birthday.

As many of you know, Hugh is best known for his fantasy stories for WEIRD TALES and others--and he has a new fantasy novel, THE DAWNING, due out from Leisure/Kensington this Summer--but I was surprised how good his BLACK MASK stories are.

I should add that Hugh remains well and active -- and besides being a legewnd, he's a greay guy!

Doug Greene And is he the last living author to have contributed to BLACK MASK in the 30's?