Re: RARA-AVIS: Hard-boiled music

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 17 Apr 2000

Anders Engwall wrote:

> Juri Nummelin:
> > Z0MB0Y@aol.com wrote:>
> > > Guitarist Link Wray is the most hardboiled R&R I know.>
> > I totally agree with you.
>
> Me too, me too! Yes, for the sheer sound of it, Link is
> certainly about as HB as they get. And he had titles to
> match, too, e.g. "Rumble", "Jack the Ripper", "Ace of
> Spades", "The Black Widow", "Deuces High", "I'm Branded"
> and -- my favourite -- "Big City After Dark".

There's also horror by Link Wray, at least a piece called "Genocide".

> I'd also like to nominate the Velvet Underground who
> certainly were thematically HB and often also musically
> (esp. the "White Light/White Heat" album). Lou Reed is
> a huge Raymond Chandler fan, btw.

Interesting to know. I just heard "Walk on the Wild Side" and it struck me as quite hardboiled, having a lazy attitude towards the harsh big city life. You know what I mean?

> I also believe that if Ellroy's WHITE JAZZ was a piece of
> music, it would be "L.A. Blues" by the Stooges.

Well, yes, maybe, but do you mean the record or the title piece?

Juri jurnum@utu.fi