Re: RARA-AVIS: Hard-boiled music

From: Anders Engwall ( Anders.Engwall@uab.ericsson.se)
Date: 17 Apr 2000

Juri Nummelin:

> Z0MB0Y@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Guitarist Link Wray is the most hardboiled R&R I know. His slow strum of
> > minor chords and sudden bursts of fast runs create an aura of menace which
> > matches the best of HB.
>
> I totally agree with you. He also has couple crime-oriented pieces, like "Swag"
> and "Sweeper". At least they sound like some Fawcett Gold Medal books from the
> mid-fifties!

Me too, me too! Yes, for the sheer sound of it, Link is certainly about as HB as they get. And he had titles to match, too, e.g. "Rumble", "Jack the Ripper", "Ace of Spades", "The Black Widow", "Deuces High", "I'm Branded" and -- my favourite -- "Big City After Dark".

I'd also like to nominate the Velvet Underground who certainly were thematically HB and often also musically
(esp. the "White Light/White Heat" album). Lou Reed is a huge Raymond Chandler fan, btw.

I also believe that if Ellroy's WHITE JAZZ was a piece of music, it would be "L.A. Blues" by the Stooges.

Anders Engwall