RARA-AVIS: RE:Fast One Comic and Peter Ruric's Movies

From: Dick Lochte ( dlock@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 15 Apr 2000

>Mike Cunningham wrote:

>I know there are at least a couple comics afficianados on this list and I
>was hoping someone might have some info on the following: I found a mention
>on some website of a "graphic novel" of Paul Cain's fast one. Has anyone
>seen this? Is it what it sounds like or something completely different?

>Also, Keith Alan Deutsch recently referred to ruric's stint in Hollywood. I
>find several mentions in the imdb of ruric's movie credits. I am not
>familiar with any of the films. I assume there are other films he worked on
>but did not receive credit for. Are any of these widely known? And can
>anyone recommend any of the films he worked on (credited or not)? Are any
>currently available in some format?

The "Fast One" graphic novel was published in 1991 by No Exit Press. Artwork is by Geoff Grandfield. It's very stylized black and white with gray tone. Pretty crude and I assume purposely so. No comic lettering. Chunks of typeface are routed into the art. It doesn't exactly work for me, but the story, descriptive passages and dialogue are very loyal to the book. Ruric's film work is described in a very interesting trade paperback,
"Hardboiled in Hollywood" by David Wilt (Popular Press). Filmography includes: Gambling Ship (1933), The Black Cat (1934), Affairs of a Gentleman
(1934), Jericho (1937), Dark Sands (1938), Twelve Crowded Hours (1939), The Night of January 16th (1941), Grand Central Murder (1942), Mademoiselle Fifi
(1944) and Alias a Gentleman (1948). The essay says that Grand Central Murder, with Van Heflin as the detective, is his best work. Wilt also discusses the film work of Horace McCoy, Eric Taylor, Dwight V. Babcock and John K. Butler.

Dick Lochte