RARA-AVIS: Re: Yes, Whisper When you Say That

From: James Rogers ( jetan@ionet.net)
Date: 14 Apr 2000

>Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 10:55:07 -0500
>To: keithdeutsch@earthlink.net
>From: James Rogers < jetan@ionet.net>
>Subject: Re: Yes, Whisper When you Say That
>
>At 11:04 AM 4/14/00 -0700, Keith wrote:
>>Dear James Rogers,
>>
>>I enjoyed your response to the Red Harvest Opera(!?) post, and to my
>>rambling Intellectual Property jag response. And in many ways I think
>>your amusing attitude is right.
>>
>>But the issue of intellectual property rights, particularly on the web
>>and emerging digital technologies, is no laughing matter---at least not
>>to the mad hatters who have spent a long time and a great deal of effort
>>putting the pieces of rights back together again. Of those old
>>periodical properties from which so much great art and fiction, and
>>popular entertainment genres originated.

   As a lawyer with a particular fascination with IP issues, particularly copyright, I agree that it is a serious issue. However, IP comes up on literary mailing lists with depressing regularity and the threads usually consist of either people spreading misinformation or tiresome types like me
(and probably you, given your experience) pedantically correcting everyone else. So I have been dumping on IP threads, at least until the next time I go into "pedant" mode (probably about 10 minutes from now).
    My actual poition on these issues tends to center on the idea that copyright is a relic of 18th century economics and I think that the web is highlighting it's intellectual obsolesence. No idea what will replace it, of course.
   If you might forgive me for being nosy, how did you manage to acquire
"Black Mask" given that the title should be proper subject matter for trademark as opposed to copyright? Did the makers of the motion picture
_Black Mask_ have to pony up a licensing fee?

                                James