RE: RARA-AVIS: Hunter S. Thompson

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Apr 2000

Yeah (he said thoughtfully)..... although in all the cases you cite save NAKED LUNCH the book begins in foursquare reality and only moves into a kind of surrealistic horror at the end. (My favorite case of this is Thompson's A HELL OF A WOMAN, incidentally.)

Perhaps one can get away with surrealism in the hb approach, but only after a realistic presentation of the world is established.

I don't care for NAKED LUNCH and certainly don't think of it as a hardboiled book.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com