Re: RARA-AVIS: recent purchases

From: kip.stratton@ni.com
Date: 10 Apr 2000

GET SHORTY is the best of the "later" Leonard novels.

THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE is an essential novel (although none of Higgins' later books fit that category). Leonard, for instance, completely changed the way he writes his novels after reading THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE. Nobody thought about dialogue the same way once FRIENDS came out. (By the way, the Peter Yates' film adaptation of THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE is one of the best crime films I've ever seen. Robert Mitchum was perfect as Coyle; it's a crime FRIENDS is not out on video/DVD.)

Later...Kip

Yesterday at the thrift store I picked up a few books, and I'd be interested in what you all think of them:
-George V. Higgins, "The Friends of Eddie Coyle"
-John Godey, "The Taking of Pelham One Two Three"
-Elmore Leonard, "Get Shorty"