RARA-AVIS: Film Actress Claire Trevor Dies

From: Words from the Monastery ( anthony.dauer@erols.com)
Date: 09 Apr 2000

Film Actress Claire Trevor Dies By Martin Weil Washington Post Staff Writer Sunday, April 9, 2000; Page C08

Claire Trevor, the sultry-voiced, blond actress who won fame, followers and an Academy Award for her roles as a gritty, good-hearted "woman with a past" in some of Hollywood's best-remembered pictures, died yesterday in California.

The Associated Press quoted a family spokesman as saying that she died at a hospital near her home in Newport Beach. No cause of death was given. The spokesman gave her age as 90 but reference works have given it as 91.

Sometimes called the queen of "film noir," Miss Trevor won her Oscar for best supporting actress in the 1948 film "Key Largo."

In that picture, which paired Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart, she played a hard-drinking, much-abused former lounge singer named Gaye Dawn, who was the girlfriend of mobster Edward G. Robinson.</P>

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A41432-2000Apr9.html

volente Deo,

Anthony Dauer Alexandria, Virginia

"I know. We are ... the lucky ones." Bif Naked, 1999