Re: RARA-AVIS: The Walter Syndrome

From: Bill Crider ( abc@wt.net)
Date: 08 Apr 2000

By coincidence, I just read THE PLASTIC NIGHTMARE, one of the paperbacks that Neely wrote before he wrote THE WALTER SYNDROME (which was nominated for an Edgar, I think). NIGHTMARE begins with a classic situation: a guy waking up from plastic surgery. He has amnesia and can't remember a thing about who he was or what happened to him. There weren't as many surprises in the book for me as there might have been if it'd read it when it was first published, but it still works pretty well. Neely was an expert at really twisty plots.

Bill Crider