Re: RARA-AVIS: Hard-Boiled Sports

From: James Rogers ( jetan@ionet.net)
Date: 06 Apr 2000

At 01:17 PM 4/5/00 -0700, you wrote:
>As a horse racing fan myself, I have to comment on this one.
>
>Those jockeys may be little, but most folks consider them the strongest
>professional athletes out there. Small men and occasionally women, often
>fasting and purging to keep their weight down, riding atop and controlling a
>ton or so of fast-moving horseflesh in very tight quarters: this isn't a
>job for sissies.
>
>Besides, most jockeys are from the great underclass. At the top of the
>professional level are lots of Cajun jockeys who learned their skill in
>illegal match races in the backwoods, as well as a long of Hispanics, both
>from this country and from other countries. Not too many bluebloods in the
>lot.
>
>They also come back from life-threatening injuries to ride again within
>amazingly short periods of time (at least the lucky ones do). In the U.S.,
>at least, an ambulance follows the field of horses around the track. What
>other sport to you know of where that occurs?
>
>Teri (a fan of hard-boiled jockeys)

     Even though I find the topic of hard-boiled sports a little silly, I reluctantly agree that the track has a very hard-boiled feel. As a young law clerk, I had to go to a track once to investigate a criminal matter involving a jockey. The whole vibe made me feel as though I had wandered into a Chandler novel. Very cool.

                                 James